10) 1900 United States Military Academy (New York) Illness that revealed hazing abuses Although the death of plebe Oscar Booz was considered illness-caused by a committee of inquiry, those members of the U. House of Representatives on the committee determined that he also had been hazed maliciously by upperclassmen. C Porter Military Academy (South Carolina) Accident during hazing. Before he died he did not give the names of the cadets who had mistreated him, and It Is said no action will be taken In the matter.
The entire story is told in Hank Nuwer’s “Hazing: Destroying Young Lives” (1918). John’s Military College (Maryland) Class Hazing In a switch, hazer William R. The case was widely covered nationwide by newspapers.
Bowlus was shot and killed while hazing a first-year student. 27) 1915 University of Kentucky Class Hazing-Related Accident Freshman Eldridge Griffith was accidentally killed during a celebration over his class’s victory in a traditional class contest.
Grau was caught under a struggling mass of students and suffered a fracture of the spine.
He died Sunday, September 27th, and was buried in Wareham the following Wednesday, the entire class attending the funeral, together with representatives of other classes and of the faculty. (However, the custom was started again soon after but called another name).
5) 1892 Yale University (Connecticut) Delta Kappa Epsilon A blindfolded student was killed in an accident in an initiation incident condemned then as outdated “criminal recklessness” by the national fraternity, according to a published article by Fred Kershner (now deceased), formerly of Columbia Teachers College and a fraternity member.
6) 1894 Cornell University (New York) Bystander accidental death A non-Cornell bystander accidentally died during a class prank involving deliberate use of chlorine gas. Henrietta Jackson will be chronicled in an in-depth investigative feature in Hank Nuwer’s 2018 book “Hazing: Destroying Young Lives” (Indiana University Press).
Torrance died of illness following a drenching with iced water during a hazing custom called “freshman visitation,” according to then-President Edward Hitchcock of Amherst.
3) 1873 Cornell University (New York) Kappa Alpha Society Mortimer N.
13) 1903 Bluffton High School (Indiana) Secret Society Ten young men went on trial following the death of “L of S. A criminal trial failed to show the death definitely was linked to Mc Bride’s hazing, according to the Indianapolis Journal of December 27, 1903. 16) 1904 Rawson School (Findlay, Ohio) Alleged Schoolboy hazing I have confirmed that Freddie Fillwock died.
14) 1903 Barton, Vermont Bullying and Torture Three preteen males decided to pick on 9 year-old Ralph Canning by having him perform mock hazing acts such as sitting and standing on heated rocks. A newspaper account reported that he suffered multiple injuries as a result of striking his head and subsequent piling on during an initiation 17) 1905 Kenyon College (Ohio) Delta Kappa Epsilon Accidental Death Following a Hazing Stuart L.
8) 1899 Lawrenceville, New Jersey High School hazing (Details sketchy. Bergen, of this place, died from injuries received at a hazing at Lawrenceville. Young Bergen was twelve years old and a freshman at Lawrenceville.